Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Psalm 119 Resh

153-160 Take a good look at my trouble, and help me— 
      I haven't forgotten your revelation. 
   Take my side and get me out of this; 
      give me back my life, just as you promised. 
   "Salvation" is only gibberish to the wicked 
      because they've never looked it up in your dictionary. 
   Your mercies, God, run into the billions; 
      following your guidelines, revive me. 
   My antagonists are too many to count, 
      but I don't swerve from the directions you gave. 
   I took one look at the quitters and was filled with loathing; 
      they walked away from your promises so casually! 
   Take note of how I love what you tell me; 
      out of your life of love, prolong my life. 
   Your words all add up to the sum total: Truth. 
      Your righteous decisions are eternal.


In this part of psalm 119, the psalmist is praying to God that he be delivered from his trespasses. He tells God, "Look at my troubles and help me. I haven't forgotten your revelation." He is begging God to bail him out of his sorrows. He claims he hasn't forgotten God's promise and revelation. He goes onto to speak about how the wicked do not seek after God. But he says that God is so great it doesn't even matter to him. 


He says that he looks at the faithless in disgust, for they walk away from God so ignorantly. They do not understand what they are missing. But because we have held fast to His love, He will give us life. He asks God to prolong his life because he has clung to God's word. And he says that God's words add up to the truth. He closes by saying, "...and every one of your righteous rules endures forever."


From these verses we can see that we know that God will deliver us from our transgressions. Even when the world doesn't care about God, it doesn't mean anything to us. We know the absolute truth, He is God. If we hold fast to His love, He will provide for us. We know that God's word is truth and that His rules will endure forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment