Tuesday, April 10, 2012

You Cannot Do This on Your Own


As a worship leader, I will usually do all of the planning, preparing, and playing for any worship meeting. I have played in a few different worship bands before, but I have never the worship team leader with a band before. In recent year I have had those opportunities to lead with a full band, usually high school students. But things can become more complicated with the more people you lead with. I tend to lean more towards leading in a smaller more intimate setting with maybe one or two acoustic guitars and maybe light percussion. Often though, I usually lead by myself.
I do this because I do not like to complicate things. I am person who tends to over complicate everything in my life. When I am leading people in worship, I want all the "bells and whistles" to be secondary experiencing the presence of God. After this week's reading, I have questioned my motives for this. Am I really doing this for His glory, or do I avoid playing with others because I am being selfish and desire the focus to be on me? We all ask ourselves these questions at some point in our walk with Him. Bob Kauflin did a great job at pointing out why it is important to have the contributions of others while leading worship.
When we choose to try and lead on our own, we can find ourselves trapped in sin of deception. We may think that what we are doing is bringing greater glory to God, but in reality we are just deceiving ourselves and we can become filled with a sense of pride. I become to rely on myself so much that I don't allow the Holy Spirit to use me to magnify God. Kauflin says it like this, "Why is the solo model of leadership so appealing? Because we're proud. If I'm the only one responsible for putting things together, I get all the credit. I lose sight of giving glory to God."
If we are not allowing people to help us with preparation or any of that, we are denying people the chance to serve God by serving you. We have to rid ourselves of the mindset, "My way is the best way." We need to allow people to worship God by being a part of the entire process. If nothing else are primary jobs as leaders should be to pray, rehearse, and lead God's people. Every week is another opportunity to benefit from the contributions and insights of others.
We also must get to the point where our worshiping isn't only what the people will see Sunday mornings or in other public meetings. The people of your church will never see some of your most significant acts of worship. The most meaningful acts of worship will happen in your hearts at any moment the Holy Spirit compels you to praise Him in any way. True acts of worship are decisions you make to put selfishness to death so Christ might be more clearly seen in your life.
We can experience true worship more when instead of doing everything ourselves, we allow others to come into our creative spaces and be apart of worship. This can spark a creative fuse that will expand what worship could be beyond what your mind can think of. We must put to death our pride and realize that other people are wiser than us. You will have opportunities to fellowship with band members and find out how others are doing in their walks with Christ. There isn't a band playing when these things happen, but these are what real acts of worship should look like.

No comments:

Post a Comment