Saturday, October 22, 2011

Mars Hill Orange County's worship leader is Thrice frontman Dustin Kensrue

This is an article on what is going on with the worship and music @Mars Hill OC. I really enjoy this guys music and it is really inspiring to see an artist i already liked use his gifts to serve God.


Meet The Staff: Dustin Kensrue

What do you do at Mars Hill Church?

I am the Worship Director for Mars Hill in Orange County, which means that I lead worship in OC a lot; I oversee the services liturgy, music, production, scripture reading, etc; and I help to train band leaders and build bands. I also will be writing more original songs, and helping others to do that well.

What did you do before being a worship director?

I have been playing music in my band Thrice for 13 years. That has been my main job for about the last ten. I have released solo albums as well. For a little over two years before I was called to be part of planting this church, I was director of college ministries at Voyagers Bible Church, and I lead worship at the church about once a month.

When did Jesus change your life?

He has been changing it pretty consistently my whole life. I don’t remember a time when I did not believe in some sense, but there have been huge milestones along the way. I went through a big crisis of faith in my early twenties because my trust had been in my intellect and not in God. He humbled me greatly through that period and taught me that faith was essentially trust with good reason. While I couldn’t know everything, I have been shown more than enough to trust that God is real, that he loves me, knows what is best for me, and is sovereign in all situations. The second and at least equally large milestone was going from an Arminian outlook (that I was ultimately responsible for my salvation by making a decision to follow Jesus) to a Reformed outlook (seeing that the Bible teaches that I was dead in sin and that God had to give me a new heart before I could ever choose him.) The gratefulness at what he had done in my heart and assurance I had that he would equip me to do what he called me to do, resulted in a new confidence and rest in the gospel. My time in connection with MH, has been intstrumental in the ongoing process of being transformed by grace, being in an environment where the Gospel is central to everything.

What is one of your favorite verses of scripture?

Too many. I read this one this morning though and I would say it’s one of my favorites.
“For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another. But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.” (Titus 3:3–7, ESV)

What is your biggest challenge as a worship director?

Probably trying to make sure all the necessary and urgent things are done so that I have time to do the things that God has called me speficically to do; namely, lead in gospel-centered gathered worship, write solid gospel-centered worship songs, teach others to do the same, and help in whatever way I can to reform music/worship culture at large in the church.

What is your greatest joy while serving as a worship Director?

Being in an environment where I get to witness God’s moving in an amazing way.

What are you looking forward to seeing God do in Orange County?

I look forward to watching him save a ton of people, to bring them from death to life. I look forward to seeing the impact of what He’s done at Mars Hill affecting the local churches in their focus, leadership training, identity, worship, community, and mission.

What prayer(s) has God most recently answered in your life?

  • A healthy and generally happy third daughter, which is a huge help with 3 kids under 5.
  • My latest record with my band seems to be bearing much fruit in encouraging believers and challenging those outside.
  • He continues to be faithful in providing for my family.
  • My dad has had miraculous results with his brain cancer treatment, and I’m thankful for whatever time God gives us with him.

What book did you last read? Do you recommend it?

“On Being a Theologian of the Cross: Reflections on Luther’s Heidelberg Disputation, 1518″ by Gerhard O. Forde. It’s not a light read but it is amazing. Most Protestants would be amazed at the force and thrust of arguments of the man who made possible their faith. It offended me anew with the gospel. It will completely uproot and destroy any lingering works-righteousness in you.

What do you and your family do for fun in Orange County?

My beautiful wife and daughters and I go on walks around the man-made lake in our neighborhood, go to Irvine Park, hang out with our families, and our oldest just started playing soccer too.

No comments:

Post a Comment